Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Cacao Plantation (Amanda)


Good evening to all, Amandoo the Grasshopper speaking.  To whoever said Heaven didn’t exist on Earth, it’s time for you to visit a chocolate plantation.  And while you’re at it why don’t you make your own super dark chocolate from the cacao beans too.  That is how we spent a glorious and delicious afternoon.   Might I add that I was very pleased to be off of sewing duty this morning, and I have discovered that football is a much more promising sport than volleyball, to Yaritza’s dismay.  (Just kidding, I already knew that.)  We will be going inner-tubing tomorrow (!) and I can’t wait.  But of course, let’s get back to everybody’s favorite topic: chocolate.  That’s all we really care about.  We visited an organic chocolate plantation, and the best part was watching Jamie being carried across the stream so as to avoid getting her ankle brace wet.  I was lucky enough to experience tasting a cacao bean fresh from the tree, and I have to say, its resemblance to alien brains must be more than a coincidence. I loved it anyway.  (Julia didn’t.)  We made our own Mayan chocolate, which is much more difficult than it seems.  It involved much grinding, mushing, and stirring.  But the result was definitely the highlight of my day; that and teaching young children the joys of American football.  I’m having the time of my life down here, although I’m pretty sure everyone’s getting tired of my Gollum impersonations.  Oh well, not much can be done about that, what do you think, precioussssss?  The bugs are pretty annoying, but the food makes up for it.  I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m actually looking forward to getting up in the morning for the first time in my life.  I can’t wait to go back to the school and see those amazing kids.  Well, I better go, it’s past Julia’s bedtime.  Bye everybody!  ~Amandoo

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Amanda! So interesting to hear about your experiences today. Here is something Abbie does not know! When I was about your age I visited my aunt in Ecuador. She had a cacao plantation. As a part of the processing they would lay the beans out to dry on these large concrete slabs. Boy was it STINKY!!!! I can still remember it. So if you see the cacao people again you can ask them if they do that. Keep the great stories coming!

Sharon Qualls said...

Hey Amanda,

Thanks for the post on today's activities. I hope you bring back some of that "homemade" chocolate!

Gary Qualls said...

Thanks for the post Amanda and thanks also for making sure Julia gets to bed timely you nighjt owl!

Girls ... enjoy reading your posts and seeing this great experience through the videos; keep 'em coming!

Lori Miskell said...

Hi Amanda Hon,

I am just wondering - How do you know what alien brains taste like? Although, I am happy to hear that you are eating...

I am also pleased to hear that you are having the time of your life. A wee bit jealous of course, since you are not with me having the time of your life, but I'll get over it.

Have a great time inner-tubing today, but be careful! Oh, btw, who's Gollum? Is that a Lord of the Rings character?

We will have to dredge up some old reruns of Kung Fu (Daddy helped me to remember the name of the series) so that you can see who you were nicknamed after.

Have a wonderful time, girls, Pamster, and Mr. Eric, too! ---Lori

Post a Comment