Saturday, February 23, 2013

Negativo into Positivo!


Hello to all, Amandoo here.  Today was a pretty uneventful day, well, for me at least.  As you all may know, we left the Mayan village this morning, to our dismay, as we miss everyone there already, and traveled to Tobacco Caye, a small island off the coast.  And when I say small, I mean SMALL.  It took me five minutes to walk the perimeter.  I, personally, am very pleased with the accommodations, as I am the only one of us brave enough to sleep on the top bunk and the one in this room is quite stable.  The journey here was a bit boring, but my opinion may be slightly biased considering I was asleep the whole time.  The boat ride was bumpy, but tolerable, and the view from the island is spectacular.  Not to mention the water is 80°F at its coldest and crystal clear.  We took a practice snorkel this afternoon to test our equipment and we were lucky enough to see a lionfish!  (Don’t worry, we didn’t touch it.)  Half of us chose to go on the night snorkel tonight, whereas the other half was just too tired and napped instead.  (I am a member of the latter group.)  Those of us who stayed in tonight will be snorkeling tomorrow night, in addition to the other activities planned for the afternoon.  But I’m getting ahead of myself.  You’ll hear all about that later.  Good night to everyone, I am off to sleep (again).

Hello blogging world! Jamie here! I was the lucky winner of getting to come blog about….the night snorkel! (Which I so bravely faced twenty minutes ago.) I shall start from the beginning. We set foot in the water. Not to criticize Amandoo, but the water was most definitely NOT 80°F. I’m thinking more like 70. And when there is a cool breeze blowing, it feels COLD! (Don’t tell her I told you. She’ll be in for a shock when SHE has to jump in.) Abbie and I were partners, and by the end we were clinging to each other for warmth. We started by seeing some little tiny fishes that were attracted to our light and swam in and out of our fingers! Then we saw some lobsters/crabs and some conch. We were SUPER bummed, however, because due to the position of the moon, the bioluminescence was not bioluminescing. (That’s not a word, but let’s go with it.) So we missed out on getting to feel like tinkerbell. L But at the very end of the snorkel, we went through Eel Loop. Eels are not my favorite animal on the planet, but I managed to not completely lose consciousness in the water. We saw about five GINORMOUS neon green eels creepily grinning at us from their little eel holes. (My love for eels is just oozing out, can’t you tell?) So we completed the snorkel just in time to come back freezing  to unheated showers. Huzzah! But at least Amanda and Julia are offering some lovely entertainment. It involves backflips off of bunk beds. (Don’t freak out, mothers, they are safe in my hands!) I would love to stay and chat, but I have to get them to stop before one of them breaks a hip, and I get no sleep.

TTFN!

Jamie

 

2 comments:

Robert Ostmann said...

Night snorkeling! You guys are way braver than I! But Jamie's description makes it seem rEELy cool. We can't stop thinking here about what an amazing adventure you are having. Memories for life! The video of the kids on the seesaw was priceless and the rafting video made us feel jungley and wet! Can't wait for the full report upon your return.

Julia, the Sister of the Lovely Human Named Jamie said...

"the bioluminescence was not bioluminescing."
"GINORMOUS"
"Don’t freak out, mothers"

I. LOVE. YOU. Write snarky blog posts about your life all the time, please. <3 <3

Post a Comment